Chlorpivaloyl Chloride

General Description

Chlorpivaloyl Chloride is colorless liquid. Very toxic by ingestion, inhalation and skin absorption. Flash point near 70°F. Corrosive. Contact may severely irritate skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Used to make other chemicals.

Air & Water Reactions

Highly flammable. Slightly soluble in water and less dense than water. Hence floats on water. Reacts with water to form hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride).

Reactivity Profile

3-Chlorpivaloyl Chloride is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, alcohols, bases, including amines. May react vigorously or explosively if mixed with diisopropyl ether or other ethers in the presence of trace amounts of metal salts [J. Haz. Mat., 1981, 4, 291].

Health Hazard

TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or contact (skin, eyes) with vapors, dusts or substance may cause severe injury, burns or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Reaction with water or moist air will release toxic, corrosive or flammable gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat that will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.

Fire Hazard

Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.